Friday, August 24, 2012

A La Mode (In the Fashion)

Hello everyone!
I've got something of a rant here which will lead me into the next post regarding security/identity.  For tonight, however, ranting is the name of the game....kind of. 
First off, if you've known me for any length of time, you'll know I'm odd.  I have a view of the world that is rather unique and I rarely color inside the lines.  My music depicts this, my words depict this, my thoughts depict this and my clothes also depict this.  The latter is today's source of contention.
During the past week I have been practically bullied because of wearing the "wrong" things and I just think it's pretty ridiculous.  I am not indecent; only different and I find it crazy that I, a 30 year old woman, have managed to be the focal point for a kind of "teasing" that most often happens in middle school.
I don't want to devote much time to this topic as it really isn't worth it, but I have these things to say:
        1.  The fact that fashion should be SUCH a big deal that it gives anybody the "right" to put someone else down is something that, I think, displays the sickness of our society.  That this thing should be so important that we are all under scrutiny about it tells me that we have a serious malfunction in our list of priorities.
        2.  Truthfully, I have been thinking about what I wear lately and have added different types of things to my wardrobe because I find that I am in certain situations where my normal attire may offend a particular culture/community.  I will wear a skirt instead of pants so as not to offend, but I refuse to change because converse with a skirt is a faux pas.
        3.  I am aware that there are people in the world who's passion it is to design clothing.  That's great...it's artistic and sounds like it could be fun.  I have no issues with such a profession.  I DO have a big issue with the label "fashion designer" being synonymous with the term "dictator".
        4.  I am so bored with this post and with this topic and with this ridiculous issue.  I really don't care what people around me are wearing and my own clothes are mainly utilitarian.  I do have my likes and dislikes and I am actually quite picky, but my tastes are simple and likely to remain so.  Can we just drop it already??
        5.  "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy" - Albert Einstein

The end...moving right along....


No comments:

Post a Comment