Monday, August 6, 2012

AIRPORTS
BEHIND THE MUSIC 

"Airports" is one of the first in a long string of songs that I began writing three years ago on the cusp of my divorce.  While the wound was still fresh, I wrote this song about my marriage and about the end of my marriage.  The first time I met my ex-husband we were in an airport and the last time I saw him we were in an airport.  That is the memory that lead me to this thought of a personified airport and how that idea felt a lot like me... An airport has thousands upon thousands of people continuously pouring through it.  Each person comes from a different place and has a different history and sees the world through different lenses.  If an airport were personified it would have to feel confused by the rush of thoughts that flow in and out constantly.  
So it is that I likened myself to an airport.  I was so conflicted about the end of my marriage and the end of that era.  I felt like there were a thousand conflicting thoughts pouring through my mind constantly.  I felt like they were all creating one big knot inside me that I could never untie.  I could never fully understand even what was in my own heart.  As the song says, "In the dark parts of me are secrets I don't even know on my own..." ...a tangled cord I can't unwind.  
Still, the prevailing thought in all of this is that I am thankful for all that I have learned.  I'm thankful for the time I had with him and I would not take it back.  The kind of love has changed, but I know that I will love him all my life and he will always be a part of me.  "woven through this heart of mine; the threads of you I won't unwind..."
With this song, I hope to soothe a broken heart.

Love and Shalom,
Julia 

No comments:

Post a Comment