Thursday, July 12, 2012

THE WELL
words and music by Julia Vidito
copyright 2012
I've been wandering in the darkness
I have scorned You with my life 
While defiant, I have felt Your hand upon me and I've run 
Filled with anger from my own lies

What, then, could You want with me 
I, who spat in Your sovereign face when You called 
I heard my name on your tongue and shook white knuckles toward the sky 
O G-d, how do you love me at all?

But it was You who called the woman at the well 
To come and offer You a drink 
And it was You who looked this wretch in the eye 
And offered a well that won't run dry 

Your persistent love is daunting
Time and time again I've met your kiss with shame 
But inscribed as a sign on my hands are the words
"I love You" and my heartbeat is Your name 
O G-d, my heartbeat is Your name 

But it was You who called the woman at the well
To come and offer You a drink
And it was You who looked this wretch in the eye
And offered a well that won't run dry

Neither angels nor demons nor things in our past or yet to come...
No life or death...
Nothing can separate us from the love of G-d
Your love does not run dry



No comments:

Post a Comment